Remember that shibori wrap top I made last year? In that post I already expressed my doubts about the combination of fabric and pattern I had chosen. The shibori dyed pattern seemed too busy to work with the folds in the wrap front. With the result that I only wore the top once. The fabric is a sumptuous Italian linen that I dyed myself so it had to be saved. As I’m on a mission to use my pattern and fabric stash, I choose Grainlines Tiny Pocket Tank to transform the wrap top into something I’d wear.
I had to cut up the pattern to make it fit out of the wrap top pieces. I unpicked the whole top to have as much fabric as possible (that one time you’re sorry you flat felled and finished all the seams), as the tiny pocket tank is kind of a wide swing top. I cut the front of the tank out of the back, but I had to move the shoulder seams to the front. This is easily done by cutting off the front straps where you want and attaching them to the back piece straps. Overlap to get rid of the seam allowance and add a new seam allowance to the strap, and that’s it. I cut the back out of the two wrap front pieces, which meant I had to create a center back seam. It was also too long, so I cut a yoke.
I had some trouble with getting the bust darts right. In my head I am still a B-cup so it should fit me fine. In reality I am only a B-cup when wearing a padded bra which I rarely do these days. I am wearing one in these photo’s. I should have done a Small Bust Adjustment on the pattern, but I only thought of this after I cut the pieces out.
There’s also a small split hem going on as you can see, an unintended result of messing with the bust darts. I had sewn them smaller and then hemmed the shirt, in a kind of “lets ignore this problem and just get on with it”- mood. Then I took a break and when I came back decided I really had to improve/enlarge the darts, resulting in a shorter front than back. A split hem seemed the best the solution for this as I didn’t want to shorten the back, too.
Some other adjustments I made were curving the waist seams a bit, making the top somewhat tighter around the bust. I also added some length in the straps because as I have experienced with my Archer Shirt, these patterns are short on me. As are nearly all patterns. This lengthening lowered the neckline simultaneously, but because it’s quite snug at the high bust there’s no gaping when I move or bend over. I also curved the center back seam at the lower back, it was standing out a bit too much for my taste.
I’m really pleased with how it turned out, I’m so glad I managed to refashion the wrap top and get a good pattern placement. I’m wearing it with my mini Jade skirt, a pairing I really like to my surprise. As Gillian rightfully pointed out I don’t usually wear the Jade without tights, but I love this combination in colour and shape. She has dared me to make another one, and I’m thinking of doing one in a stretch woven, one I’ll wear in the summer. There might be denim and bleach involved too, but more on that later!